Monday 29 October 2012

Shakespeare schools festival

Well the performance went really well! I'm astonished because I was pulling my hair out just the day before the show. I'm so proud of the pupils. The time and effort they put in was amazing.
I found directing to be a very strange experience. I've only ever been on stage myself before which obviously involves being involved right up until the appaulse at the end. It was odd having to hand that over to other people and not being able to participate in the very final moments. All I could do was watch and hope things went smoothly. We had a few 'moments'  - lines being forgotten, one pupil vomiting backstage and one of the teacher's sons having to go on instead and me having to whisk my top off to provide a 'shawl' as a prop that went walkies!
The experience has defintiely left me wanting more in terms of producing and directing and it has also made me realise how much I miss being on stage myself.

2 comments:

  1. Good description and a few realisations - directing is one of the areas that your should make a pat of your project in terms of personal development. Productions are often a way that schools present themselves to parents and the community - is this not part of your arguments for creative education? How does it fit in with your practitioner research and data gathering in your journal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Paula, you are right about the performance presenting what the pupils are capable of. I felt great pride when the school principal stopped me in work the next day and asked who one of the pupils was as she was so good on stage! The pupil in question is actually a dyslexic pupil who is on the SEN register. Someone who is not academic. For the Principal to notice her really shows that you do not need to be academic in order to be talented, shine and succeed. Thank you for pointing out to me that this is a fantastic example of what I am striving to demonstrate through my inquiry.

    ReplyDelete