Tuesday 6 March 2012

Possible award title

Today I have spent a great deal of time thinking about what I would like my award title to be.
My ultimate aim is to teach dance and drama in secondary education. Having worked in secondary schools for four year, I feel that I have a good understanding of the National Curriculum, what is expected of pupils in school, in terms of learning and how to get the best out of pupils.
        I have a National diploma in dance (musical theatre), but want my award title to reflect my experience working in schools too. Therefore, I would like ‘education’ to be mentioned within the title.
        I have spent time looking online at the sort of job I will eventually like to apply for. I noticed that some positions were called ‘teacher of drama’ whilst others were called ‘performing arts teacher’. With this is mind, I looked for the definition of ‘performing arts’ and the following words were mentioned : dance, music, opera, theatre, magic, Spoken word, circus arts and musical theatre. I feel the words ‘performing arts’ cover the disciplines that I am trained in and wish to teach – dance, drama (theatre) and musical theatre.

I played around with various combinations including ‘Theatre education’, ‘dance and drama in education, ‘Theatre arts education’.

However I am currently leaning towards

‘BA (hons) Professional Practice in Performing Arts Education’.

This title incorporates the three disciplines I am trained in (musical theatre, drama and dance) and also includes the educational side to my experience. I also believe this title would enable me to teach in private dance and drama schools if I ever desired to do so.
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah. Your title expresses all that you are experienced in. I think the ideas you played around with are too specific so BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Performing Arts Education sounds exactly perfect for you.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Welcome. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah as you are working in a government sponsored secondary educational environment this sounds appropriate - it somewhat depends on your topic and whether that is going to be about education - if not - performing arts also represents your knowledge and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula,
    Yes my line of inquiry will be education related. Thank you for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete