Tuesday 7 February 2012

The start of module two

As there were so few of us at the campus day yesterday, I thought I would write up a brief outline of what was discussed for those of you who couldn't make it.

We started the afternoon being shown the final presentations of the recently graduated students. Rosemary explained that although we are only beginning module 2, seeing what we are aiming towards gives us a sense of purpose and for me, motivation. The various examples of graduates' work was presented in different ways including picture books, spiral bound booklets and posters.

Rosemary then explained that this module is basically the planning process toward the third module in which we create our presentation. She stressed that this module is a significant step up from the first module in terms of work load and time that should be committed to it.

Our third module presentation will be the produce of what we choose as our line of inquiry in this module. We spent some time going round the group individually to discuss what ideas we all had. This may have already been discussed or touched on briefly during the 'inquiry' task in module 1.

Your chosen topic needs to be something that will help you in terms of your career choice due to the fact that what you learn throughout the rest of the BAPP course is what you are likely to become an expert in, which can ultimately benefit you professionally.
For example, I shared with the group that I plan to do my topic on the importance of arts in education. This is helpful to me as I work in a school, I want to be a performing arts teacher and my training has been in performing arts.
The topic you choose needs to be something you are really interested in as you will be learning and researching about it for the rest of the year!

Throughout the rest of the day, we talked about what tools will be needed in order to start researching our chosen topic. We agreed that we will need to interview people associated with our chosen topic, access literature (via MDX library resources/ internet), find out statistics, look at different angles to get a full picture and generally become experts in our field.

Rosemary talked about the fact that ethics are very important throughout this process. Paula will be talking to us about ethics during the next campus session.

In the module handbook, one of the tasks mentions finding your 'special interest group' (SIG). We began discussing who in the group has chosen a similar topic to you. This will be something each of us look out for, in order to share ideas and comments through our blogs. (If anyone is planning to do their inquiry on education or performing arts in education, let's be SIGs!)

So now our mission is to start thinking about what we want to do our inquiry on and start working through the tasks (4a-4d)!

Hope this has made sense and looking forward to seeing you all on the 28th Feb
See you on the blogs :-)

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I'll be your SIG. I would love to run my own Performing Academy (which provides education without the hefty price tag). If you would have me, we can have a business like chat. Thanks for the Info. Gutted I couldn't make yesterday. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Great summary, thank you!! I'm really disappointed to find out that you got the opportunity to view finalist presentations! I don't suppose any of these are or will be available online?

    As far as SIG goes, we're pretty much pursuing the exact same career path, so I think we should definitely team up in an SIG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liam & Sarah a 3 way partnership?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, lovely to see you again on Monday. Getting started now! This is a great run-down of what we did and am re-blogging it. Liam - not sure if the final pieces will be 'uploadable' as some were pretty impressive books/posters/articles. A complete range of things though, and apparently some people had done videos, or even a song? (not sure how that worked though)

    I'm not decided on my Line of Inquiry yet but think it will be a bit different - definitely will keep in contact though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah thanks for the info, it's a massive help! I'm still not entirely certain of my own line of inquiry yet, but good luck with yours and hope to see you at the next campus session x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for this detailed account on what was discussed at the campus session, It has really helped me to think more about the 'future' and what I actually plan to do with this BAPP degree. Rosemary's tips really hit home.
    So, hopefully my creativity will be pushed to do something really beneficial to my career. On to the reading...
    Good Luck with your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have helped! Lily and Liam, glad to have some SIGs on board x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah, thank you very much for the information. This was very helpful and now I will start to think about my line of inquiry. Your idea seems appropriate for your kind of job. Unfortunately I can't be your SIG because I think my theme will be differ from yours. But I am not completely certain about my theme. Take care and good luck for your start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah

    This is very useful information thank you. I do not think we can be SIGs though as I am planning to go down a different route.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah,

    Thank you so much for all this information, it is a real help :)

    If my line of inquiry ends up being related to yours then I will definitely be in your SIG.

    Take care and thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Sarah - this seems like it was a great help to people - Rosemary also has a blog up about the session. The SIGs have proven to be very helpful in the past. The discussion facility got taken away on the facebook page but we can do groups if anyone wants...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I get in on this SIG action!? I too am trying to link performing and dance teaching in my inquiry. Proving tricky but have come up with couple of things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in on this SIG teaching.... Thank you Sarah this has been so helpfully I found the course reader a big struggle to digest and understand but I feel a lot better after reading this!!! Thank you !!!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to be in on the Dance Education SIG! Ditto to what Charlie said - thanks for outlining your experience at the campus for us! It really helps to hear what's going on since I can never make it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    Lizzie has created a facebook group called 'Teaching Dance to young children' as an SIG on Facebook.

    Please feel free to join so we can develop discussions :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sarah! just jumping on the bandwagon here to say thanks for this run down! was great! This module has taken me a little longer to get myself involved in because im generally freaking out about my life! Working full time, doing this degree, planning a wedding and buying a house whilst trying to decide what i actually want to do with myself is proving pretty stressful, Im guessing your there with me, although im sure, handling it much better than me!! Think ive joined your SIG, or at least i have commented after reading yours? is it an ask permission kinda thing?
    anyways, hope we can discuss all and get some interesting stuff down! speak soon x

    ReplyDelete