Tuesday 24 January 2012

Thoughts about GTPs

Today I have been thinking about how I hope to obtain a GTP when I complete my degree. I have friends who have been trying to find a provider for months and unfortunately dance is not a popular subject for providers to provide for!
I came accross a website that suggested that I look for jobs advertising for qualified dance teachers and contact them, asking if they have thought about taking on someone looking to do a GTP. It would cost less for them so I suppose it isn't such an implausable idea.
In my mind, I have always thought that I would do a degree, then do a GTP, get a job and then live happily ever after....but now that I'm having to actually complete the steps towards my goals, things suddenly seem a tad more daunting!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I just wondered what exactly is GTP?

    Quite often I will search for teaching jobs just to see what jobs are available at the moment and like you said most of the time they will ask for QTS. However, I have noticed that occasionally they will ask for someone with a degree and experience who is willing to work towards QTS.

    Is this related to GTP?

    Ideally I would like to gain my degree and then complete a PGCE 11-18 in an area of Musical Theatre (Dance, Drama etc..). I always find your posts very interesting to read, I guess because I feel I can relate to them :)

    Take care Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo,
    Glad you enjoy my posts! GTP stands for 'Graduate Teacher Program. It allows graduates to work as a teacher in their chosen subject and therefore get paid, but on a reduced wage, whilst training towards QTS at the same time. It is the only option for me as I can't afford a year of unemployment to do a PGCE. They are difficult to come by, especially in the performing arts subjects. I'm really hoping that the school I work in will recognise my talents and provide me with a GTP here...only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah have you looked at the links from the Alumni/Teaching tab on the Libguide?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Paula. I hadn't realsied there was so much information regarding GTPs with MDX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sarah. I have been looking a lot at different ways of getting into teaching. Have you heard about the new 'Schools Direct' scheme which is coming?
    I contacted the TDA about this and they said it is still in the early stages but schools will bid for teacher training places and students can gain QTS this way. It may be worth looking into.

    I will also look at the advice from Paula, hope it was useful to you.

    Do you have any ideas on your line of inquiry yet? From your background and previous blogs we may be in the same SIG. I am focusing on how to best prepare someone for full time Musical Theatre training? Perhaps there will be some similarities within our inquiries?

    Anyhoo, hope to hear from you soon. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, here is the web site link I promised you today regarding wedding cakes with a difference. Corinda
    http://cuticups.com/

    ReplyDelete