Saturday 26 November 2011

So you want to be a teacher

This week I read a really interesting book called  'So you want to be a teacher' by Fred Sedgwick. I wanted to share with you all (especially those wanting to become teachers!) a fantastic quote, which I found really inspiring:

'Teaching isn't about getting our class into assembly on time, or about phonemes, or even about teaching historical, scientific and geographical facts. It's not about coming top of a list. It's about the state of the world and about making it more just, about making things through a search for the truth....It is the artist in us that shows us and our masters and mistresses that we are human beings and not hired hands existing to service the economy.'

Sedgwick explains how we are all teachers and how everyone continues to learn throughout their lives. I love learning and teaching so this book got me excited that I will (hopefully) be able to make a living, doing something I love, and in fact, everyone is already doing!

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely Sarah! Eventually I am also hoping to become a teacher, so this is very inspiring and rings very true :)
    Maybe I'll check out the book!
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting quote! The words that jumped out at me (because of part 3 of the module and all the theories) were "a search for the truth". He talks about searching for the truth, which means he must take an objectivist approach to teaching as opposed to constructivist. It's interesting...I certainly agree that it's "the artist in us" that's important. At this early stage in my teaching career, I feel like my creativity is my strongest tool!

    ReplyDelete