Tuesday 13 December 2011

Task 3c - Sources of information

Having read through the part on ‘Connectivism’, in the Reader, I agreed that traditional ideas about learning are being drastically modified through the use of technology. I have lived through an age where the internet has been developed and consequently, the way in which the professional networks have also been developed. I feel very privileged to be a young professional in this day and age. Here are my top five most important sources of information.

1.      Google
I use Google every day. In my professional practice, I work in an after-school club which allows pupils to receive help with their homework, use the computers and other recourses. As the ranges of subjects that the pupils may need help with are numerous, I often don’t know the specifics myself. This is when I rely on Google. Being able to access information or guide the pupils to the information they require is invaluable.
I have noticed that almost everybody on this module has mentioned Google, including Liam Conman, Alicia Beck and Corinda Hall. This shows just how versatile Google is. I have a very different occupation to Alicia (She is a ballet dancer and I am an SEN teaching assistant), yet we both benefit so much from Google. Alicia uses Google to search for information on famous dancers and choreographers amongst other things and I might use Google to search for inspiration for a literacy lesson.

2.      One to one conversation – Face to face/ Telephone
I regularly find that although it is very old fashioned, actually talking to people can be the best source of information. For example, whilst helping a year 7 pupil work on her French ‘er’ verb endings, I was confused and had no computer access and could not find the French teacher to be able to obtain the information I needed in order to help the pupil. My mother was a French teacher for 30 years, so I quickly called her and within two minutes, I had the information I needed.
I have never been afraid to ask people for help when necessary. I regularly ask my boss and colleagues for information if I am unsure about anything. Not only is it incredibly quick to simply ask a question (if there is someone with you), a range of answers may be provided should there be two or more people to ask.
Sina –Jayne also mentions using face to face conversation as one of her top 5 sources of information. She discusses that ‘Sometimes speaking through text or email can give a wrong impression, or maybe your point may not be put across as well’.  I completely agree. I dislike not being able to express myself through facial expression. I really don’t’ enjoy using Skype, and although you can see the person you are communicating with, I find that expressions can be confused and awkward as the connection is often rather poor. I have already discussed in a previous blog that I initially had difficulty refraining from adding ‘kisses’ at the end of my blogs or smilies to express my emotion.  By communicating face to face, these difficulties are not an issue.

3.      Blogging
This is a very new source of information for me. I did not have a blog or had even looked at anyone else’s blog before starting on BAPP. Since September ’11, I thoroughly rely on looking through my peer’s blogs to obtain information, insight and inspiration regarding BAPP. This is obviously beneficial regarding the course, but it is also so interesting to learn the opinions of others. I have found myself both agreeing and questioning people’s ideas which I feel, help me to expand my own opinions. It has also developed some interesting conversations with my colleagues, as some of them have been interested in what I have been discussing in my blogs. What I write about is often very relevant to them too as they work in the same department as me and this has sparked a number of conversations.

4.      Youtube
Youtube seems to be another very popular source of information with the majority of BAPP students. It is so easy to use and beneficial to anyone needing a quick source of music. This is how and when I generally use the source. I teach a weekly dance/musical theatre class and rely on Youtube to provide the music I need. I no longer have to buy or even download the track I need, because I can simply play it from Youtube.
I have also used it to find the lyrics to songs. In classrooms we have smartboards so I can link Youtube (complete with tune and lyrics) to the smartboard so that the pupils can all see the words. Emma Hatton mentions that she too uses Youtube, and in a similar way to me. Being able to access songs that you are not familiar with at the click of a button is so valuable, especially to performers.

This website is invaluable to me as an SEN teaching assistant. It has fantastic resources that are colourful, motivating and informative. I use it for ideas with my literacy classes and also to praise pupils by printing off certificates for them. It caters up to teaching year 10 however; the pupils I teach often have a lower reading age than their chronological age, so it is useful to be able to access a lower year bracket than they are actually in. The site also suggests other websites that may be useful to you and all recourses are free!


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    http://www.senteacher.org/ sounds like such a great resource!
    Being dyslexic myself, I think its great that there are websites out there to assist teachers how to coach the students through education, even if the level is below the chronological age, it helps the student greatly. The idea with the certificates is also interesting, as the student feels that they have achieved something, and by working hard for it you have rewards. I know I always felt a great sense of achievement when I got to go home with an award, to show my parents how I have improved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Jacob. It's true that the pupils love getting certificates. In their main-stream classes, the pupils with low reading ages and literacy difficulties very rarely get the praise that the pupils with better grades get. By coming to extra literacy classes and getting the praise they deserve, we see a huge change and increase in confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, thanks for pointing out that you can mention obvious sources in our chosen practices as well as one's that aren't so obvious.

    Lily
    X

    ReplyDelete